New social and affordable housing for Green Square
SGCH Media Release
6 February 2018
Leading community housing provider SGCH will build over 80 new social and affordable units in Botany Road, Alexandria. Partnering with the City of Sydney and Clean Energy Finance Corporation (CEFC), the development will meet local housing needs and be built to a minimum 7 star NaTHERS rating.
Scott Langford, Group CEO of SGCH said “SGCH is pleased to work in partnership and deliver new energy efficient social and affordable housing in a prime location. We appreciate the leadership of the City of Sydney in offering land for this purpose.”
In June 2017 the City of Sydney offered the land for sale to a not for profit community housing provider for the sole purpose of providing social and affordable housing, SGCH successfully submitted an expression of interest.
Financed by the CEFC, the new homes will be delivered to industry leading energy efficiency standards of 7 star NatHERS or above.
“We will develop homes for essential workers and low income households, including dedicated units to support rough sleepers, Aboriginal people and people escaping family and domestic violence. These tenancies will also benefit from reduced energy bills.
“In a global city like Sydney, we rely on the contributions of people from a range of different incomes, occupations and backgrounds. Providing social and affordable housing that is close to transport, education and the economic, social, and cultural opportunities on offer is essential for our community
“SGCH works in partnership to collaboratively shape great places for the benefit of local communities. As a community housing provider, we are dedicated to connecting people to opportunity,” Mr Langford said.
Third-year Sydney Theatre School student Shaw Cameron is an SGCH affordable housing tenant living in Ultimo. “Before living in affordable housing I was living out of the city and paying a lot of rent. Having access to subsidised rent means that I can focus on my studies. Being close to the city is great for getting casual work to pay for my tuition, bills and groceries”
Mr Shaw receives a discount to the property’s market rent of 74.9 per cent – roughly a saving of $200 per week for an inner-city 2-bedroom apartment. Mr Shaw has found other benefits to being a tenant with SGCH, “Apart from cheaper rent, last year I received a Strive Scholarship. This money helped me fund a study trip that may otherwise have been difficult to take part in”.
- SGCH is a leading not-for-profit community housing provider with over 30 years’ experience in developing and managing sustainable, safe and affordable homes and connecting people to opportunity.
- Recognised as one of the largest Community Housing Providers in Australia, SGCH houses over 8,900 people in 4,700 homes across the Sydney Metropolitan Region.
- Our pioneering partnerships with government agencies, community groups and support services allow us to increase the number of good quality homes and connect people to training, education, employment and community engagement opportunities.
- We deliver two main housing products:
- Affordable Housing – Subsidised rental accommodation for workers in key service industries and people on a range of incomes from very low to moderate.
- Social Housing – Secure, long-term housing for people on very low and low incomes.
Media release, 2018